June is Great Outdoors Month: a celebration of America’s public lands and waters and the many ways to enjoy them. Organizations and municipalities host events throughout the month to encourage people to #EscapeTheIndoors and recreate.
The Corps Network recognizes Great Outdoors Month with our Great Outdoors Day of Service in Washington, DC. Friday, June 15, 2018 is our 5th Annual Day of Service.
This event comes at the end of Outdoor Stewardship Week (June 11 - 15, 2018)
LBJ Memorial Grove
Learn more about this location here:
- Inspire people to get outside and contribute to the preservation of America’s natural spaces. Hiking, biking, camping, fishing – so many outdoor activities would not be possible without proper stewardship of our park infrastructure and resources. All of us can pitch in to maintain the places and habitats that support our favorite activities.
- Raise awareness about the role of service and stewardship in protecting and improving public lands.
- Celebrate the service of the stewards who protect our natural treasures.
- Make a Difference. We hope to make a dent in the backlog of maintenance projects at parks in the nation’s capital, helping our resource management partners focus on other priority projects.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Outdoor enthusiasts, friends of the Corps movement, and young people from Corps across the country will participate in the Day of Service. The event will involve invasive species removal projects at Lyndon Baines Johnson Memorial Grove along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Before volunteers disperse to projects, the day will begin with a warm-up and remarks from inspiring speakers.
WHAT TO BRING
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirt
- Closed-toe shoes
- Work gloves
- Bug spray
- Refillable water bottle (water will be provided)
The Day of Service will happen rain or shine, so come prepared for the elements! We will get in the dirt and weeds, so bring appropriate clothing that will protect you from scratches, poison ivy, etc. We will distribute Day of Service t-shirts to all volunteers, but you may want to bring a long sleeve shirt.
REGISTER A GROUP
To register multiple people, please contact Bobby Tillett, Member Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite your sponsorship of The Corps Network Great Outdoors Day of Service. This is a great way to get involved in the national effort to engage more young adults and veterans in service on public lands.
- Sponsorship Information
- Contact Laura Herrin, Director of Partnerships and Development, for questions regarding sponsorship: email@example.com